Wednesday, February 06, 2008

bloody cold out



It's snowing out again. It is forecasted to continue basically forever. Oh, well. It's pretty.

I gave blood yesterday, and my arm is sore! It wasn't too bad, though. Interesting facts:

We each have eight to twelve pints of whole blood in our body.

It takes our bodies two to four weeks to replace one pint.




Someone in the U.S. needs a blood transfusion every two seconds.




Over 38 000 blood transfusions are needed every day.


Only about ten percent of the population is eligible to give blood.


This brings me to my rant. One of the categories of people who are not eligible to donate blood are "Men who have sex with another man EVEN ONCE." -- the all caps were on my blood donor info sheet...exact quote. Well, no wonder they are always short on donors! Whine, whine whine.









No comments: